- Davis Valley Winery (about 15 minutes) The winery is located in Rural Retreat, VA in the mountains of beautiful SW Virginia. Drop by the Tasting Room to sample their wines on a 100 year-old handcrafted oak bar.
- Rural Retreat Winery(about 20 minutes in Rural Retreat, VA) Their wine selection includes full body reds and lovely whites. They also have a full service deli that serves light fare sandwiches, soups and salads, and features Amish-style cheeses and meats.
- West Wind Farm Vineyard & Winery (about 45 minutes away in Max Meadows, VA). West Wind Farm planted their grapes in 2003, but the farm is a 4th generation homestead. The winery and tasting room are easily accessible from I-81. The wine selection includes reds, whites, and fruit wines.
The following wineries are just a bit farther away, but still close enough to enjoy as a day trip—and well worth the trip:
- Chateau Morrisette Winery (about 1 hr-40 minutes away in Floyd, VA). Along with award-winning wines, the Chateau Morrisette also features a restaurant of elegant dining in a relaxed old-world atmosphere for lunch and dinner.
- Villa Appalaccia Winery (about 1 hr-40 minutes away and near the Chateau Morrisette Winery in Floyd, VA. The vineyard is predominately grown Italian grape varieties. It is unique in that the vineyard is one of the few in VA not planted on clay but on shale thus resulting in wine that is unique and true to the Italian heritage. To enjoy with your glass of wine, the winery also serves humus, local cheeses, olives, and salamis along with crusty bread for an enjoyable lunch.
- Abingdon Vineyard Winery – Enjoy the beautiful grounds as you sample wines from this winery, which encompasses 6000 plants on 10 acres. The winery specializes in reds, whites, and roses. Relax your day away watching the S. Holston River drift by.
- Coltsfoot Winery – located in Abingdon on Stone Mountain Rd. Coltsfoot Winery uses only the finest select fruits and luscious berries to make a variety of delicious country wines. Tours and tastings are welcome by appointment. Their wine selections include various fruit wines such as Blackberry Wine, Blueberry Wine, & Plum Wine, to name a few.
Here are some additional ideas for day trips you may be interested in while you stay with us at The Collins House Inn. We are fortunate to have many activities to choose from here in Smyth County and the surrounding areas. There is something here for everyone from a beautiful drive through the Blue Ridge Mountains, visiting local farmer’s markets, festivals, or just enjoying a hike or if golfing is your passion the following courses are near our Inn. Saltville Golf Club, 9 holes over 2,802 yards with a par of 35 (Public) 1 Stadium Saltville, VA 24370 Greenway Creek Golf Course, Greenway Creek Course 18 holes over 5,552 yards with a par of 68 (Public) 36012 Lee Hwy Glade Spring, VA 24340 Scenic View Golf Course, Scenic View Course 9 holes over 3,105 yards with a par of 36 (Public) 969 Loves Mill Rd Chilhowie, VA 24319-5862 Holston Hills Country Club, Holston Hills Course 18 holes over 6,536 yards with a par of 72 (Public) 1000 Country Club Rd Marion, VA 24354-1500 Deerfield Golf Course, Inc., Deerfield Course 9 holes over 2,545 yards with a par of 36 (Public) 33315 Brittany Ln Damascus, VA 24236 [Read More…]
SPECIAL FESTIVALS [Read More…]
- Whitetop Maple Festival—last full weekend in March
- Naturalist Rally—Mother’s Day weekend
- Damascus Trail Days, Damascus, VA—May
- Wayne Henderson Music Festival and Guitar Competition—third Saturday in June
- Independence Day Festivities and Fireworks, Marion, VA, July 4th
- Hungry Mother Arts & Craft Festival/Marion Downtown Days Festival—third full weekend in July
- Rich Valley Fair and Horse Show—late July/early August
- Virginia Highlands Festival and Antique Fair, Abingdon, VA—first two weeks in August.
- Birdwatcher Festival—May and September
- Galax Old Fiddlers Convention—Second week in August
- Civil War Reenactment, Saltville, VA—August
- Chilhowie Apple Festival, Chilhowie, VA—last full weekend of September
- Grayson Highlands Fall Festival—last full weekend in September
- Whitetop Molasses Festival—second Sunday in October
- Sherwood Anderson Festival—September-December
EVENTS CALENDAR Smyth County, Virginia abounds in local festivals and celebrations. In Marion, together with Saltville and Chilhowie, there is always something happening, whether it is a civil war enactment or a production in the local Lincoln Theatre. [Read More…]
Below is a list of day trips and nearby attractions:
- ***Hungry Mother State Park
- Smyth County Museum: (276) 783-7286
- Sherwood Anderson Historic sites and burial place
- Lincoln Theatre
- Barter Theatre, Abingdon, VA
- Downtown Marion, VA
- Saltville, VA—salt capital of the Confederacy
- Chilhowie, VA
- ***Mount Rogers National Recreational Area
- Appalachian Trail
- Virginia Creeper Trail for biking and hiking
- Jefferson National Forest
- Grayson Highlands State Park
- Smyth County Artisan Trail
- Settlers Museum of Southwest Virginia: (276) 686-4401
- Museum of the Middle Appalachians: (276) 496-3633
- Morgan McClure Racing Museum and Souvenir Shop
- Bristol Motor Speedway
- The Marion Regional Farmers’ Market
For more information, visit the Smyth County Chamber of Commerce. And along the way, you will find many places for shopping and antiquing.
RESTAURANTS Marion is home to some great restaurants and eateries, some of which are within walking distance of The Collins House Inn. No matter what your tickles your taste buds, you will be able to find it at one of Marion’s fine restaurants. Here is small list of dining establishments for you to choose from: [Read More…]
- The Black Rooster (General Francis Marion Hotel) and within easy walking distance
- Macado’s—easy walking distance
- Pizza Plus
- Yummy Yummy Japanese Restaurant—easy walking distance
- El Puerto
- Wolf’s Barbeque—easy walking distance.
- Wooden Pickle – easy walking distance
- 27 Lions-easy walking distance
- Sisters Cafe & Gifts–easy walking distance
- The Italian Rose
SHOPPING If you are able to spend some time in Marion and want to shop for that unique gift for that special someone, you will find several gift shops, a nice women’s clothing store, and several galleries that have local artisans’ works available for sale. Come meander around Marion, stop for a nice relaxing lunch at one of our restaurants and see how pleasant a shopping experience can be. Marion even has an Army & Navy Store for men right on Main Street. Yes, men, you will find a large selection of clothing, boots, shoes, etc. to fit your every indoor and outdoor need.
GALLERIES [Read More…]
Appalachian Spirit Gallery (Open April-Dec.)Home of the Appalachian Spirit Artists Association, with a mission to celebrate the arts, traditions, lore, and spirit of the Appalachians and to showcase work of local artists. Artwork on display includes oils, acrylics, watercolor, stained glass, jewelry, fabric art, and woodturnings. The Herb House Originally built at the turn of the century, The Herb House is currently owned by Jim & Holly Thomas. Here you can find items made by local artisans, ice cream, and other ‘forbidden delights’ such as the donuts the Herb house is known for. Or maybe you want to just relax and hang out for awhile. Incidentally, The Herb House is haunted. Cornett Jewelers Avery Cornett, owner, offers a beautiful selection of fine jewelry. If you make it to one of Marion’s “Second Fridays Art Walks”, you will often times find Avery displaying his handmade, original jewelry creations at the Appalachian Spirit Gallery. Avery has recently created a series of jewelry items, now licensed by the Lincoln Theatre, that replicate many of the Mayan symbols that embellish the inside of the Lincoln Theatre. Past Time Antique Emporium This unique antique mall features vintage antiques and collectibles. Antiques are featured on both floors of the emporium. This is a must-see.